Click on a tutorial below to view it in a new window or tab.Jumpbooks redemption for CourseSmart eTextbooks
Checking out a Jumpbook for offline access
Frequently Asked QuestionsWhat is a Jumpbook?
Jumpbooks are textbooks with enhanced functionality that are available in digital format. Jumpbooks are purchased at your local bookstore and delivered electronically to your computer via Jumpbooks.com. You save money with the low prices and gain functionality with the enhanced features Jumpbooks offers. You have the ability to search the entire text for a word or phrase, add comments, create your own bookmarks, and print on demand from your personal computer or laptop.
Jumpbook textbooks are provided by either CourseSmart or VitalSource. CourseSmart titles are accessed online with the ability to checkout titles for offline reading. VitalSource titles are download only. Please note the format as indicated on your Digital Bookshelf.
What do I need in order to use my Jumpbook(s)?
- A computer that meets the browser or system requirements below.
- A high-speed Internet connection. Because Jumpbooks are large files, a high-speed Internet connection is required to ensure you can access or download your Jumpbook quickly and effectively. A connection to the Internet is required for reading a Jumpbook if you choose the recommended, online-viewer option.
- Free software to read your Jumpbook. VitalSource Bookshelf is required for Jumpbooks purchased in the VitalBook format. Information on the reader software required will be listed next to the Jumpbook title before you download. No software is required for CourseSmart titles.
- An account on Jumpbooks.com. Register here.
- The receipt number and access code found on your bookstore sales receipt.
If you have all the items listed above, activate and download your Jumpbook today!
- Web browser with HTML5 support, such as Firefox 3.6 and higher
- Windows Vista or greater, or Mac OS X 10.5 or greater
- 2.0 GHz Intel processor
- 1GB of RAM
- 1024x768 screen resolution or larger.
Jumpbooks.com recommends that you download your Jumpbook to a non-public computer (a personal computer or laptop) to ensure that you can successfully retrieve the file after download.
- Can I give my Jumpbook to others?
Jumpbooks are designed to be downloaded by a single user, on one computer. However, if the title is in CourseSmart format, the user can open the Jumpbook through the internet at multiple computers (each book may only be checked out for offline use to one computer at a time).
- How long can I keep my Jumpbook?
All CourseSmart titles will expire. The Jumpbook expiration date can be located on the back of each Jumpbook tag in the bookstore. The time until expiration begins at the moment you activate your Jumpbook, and the number of days left in your subscription shows in your CourseSmart bookshelf.
- Can I print my Jumpbook?
Yes, most Jumpbooks have no limitations regarding printing. In the event a Jumpbook does have a printing restriction, it can be located on the back of the each Jumpbook tag in the bookstore.
- Can I read my Jumpbook without being connected to the Internet?
Yes, if your Jumpbook is in the CourseSmart digital format, you may "check out" up to three chapters or sections at a time to read offline. Follow the steps below, or watch the Tutorial.
- From your CourseSmart bookshelf, select the desired eTextbook.
- Click the button to enable offline access.
- Select up to three chapters or sections at a time to "check out" the chapters for offline use.
- Once the chapters are available for offline use, you can view the downloaded chapters in your browser, even while offline.
- The offline reader supports key features like notes, highlights, copy, and searching the current page.
- In order to access the selected chapters offline from another browser-enabled device, these chapters must be checked back in using the tools in the CourseSmart web site.
- The check out process may be repeated multiple times, and the entire eTextbook may be accessed offline, three chapters at a time.
- You may only store chapters offline on one device at a time.
- Currently the offline access requires a browser with HTML5 support, such as Firefox 3.6 or higher.
- What if my computer crashes and I lose my Jumpbook?
If the Jumpbooks were purchased through VitalSource books, it is recommended that you immediately make a backup copy after downloading your Jumpbook. Create a copy of your Jumpbook and save it to removable media such as CD, DVD, or a USB drive. Jumpbooks.com is not responsible for accidentally deleted or lost files. Making a backup copy will allow you to restore the Jumpbook to the same computer to which you originally downloaded the file in the event of a disaster. Note: The backup file Jumpbook does not allow you to open it on a different computer. For assistance in restoring a backed up title, please contact the content provider (VitalSource, CourseSmart) for further assistance.
- Can I return my Jumpbook for a refund?
You may return a non-accessed Jumpbook by bringing your original sales receipt to the bookstore where you originally purchased it (unless otherwise noted in the bookstore's return policy).
Jumpbooks provided by CourseSmart are eligible for a full refund if:
- The book has not been accessed.
- The return occurs within 14 days of the purchase date.
If the Jumpbook provided by CourseSmart has been accessed, it is eligible for a refund if:
- No more than 20% of the Jumpbook content has been viewed or printed.
- The access code for any online resource included with the Jumpbook has not been viewed.
- The return occurs within 14 days of the purchase date
- If you previously "checked out" chapters of the Jumpbook for offline use, it must be "checked in" to be eligible for a return.
- Can I use my Jumpbook on my iPhone, iPad, Android, or other mobile device?
You can read your Jumpbooks provided by CourseSmart on supported mobile devices such as Android mobile devices, iPhones and iPads. You will need to download a free application and have an active Internet connection. The CourseSmart App for iPhone and iPad is available through the App Store. The CourseSmart App for Android devices is available through the Android Marketplace. For more information, click here.
I have a question that isn't answered here.
For return or refund questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For all other questions, email: email@example.com
In order to facilitate troubleshooting, please include the following information in your correspondence:
- Steps to reproduce the problem (in as much detail as possible)
- Exact text of any error message (screen shots are helpful)
- URL(s) of any error page(s) you encounter
- Title(s) of problem download(s)
- Download or Online viewer version
- Receipt number and access code
- Operating system (Windows XP, Windows 98 SE, etc.)
- Internet browser and version (Internet Explorer 6.0, Firefox 1.0.7, etc. In most browsers, find this under Help > About.)
- If applicable, device type and operating system